Friday, June 3, 2016

A Visit To The Historical Pinecrest Village-Part 1

One of my favorite places to visit each year during the summer months is Pinecrest Village, an extraordinary, outdoor historical museum located in the lovely countryside in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin.  Located at 924 Pine Crest Lane, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, 54220, the village comprises of 25 historic buildings from 1850-1910 and is run by the Manitowoc County Historical Society.  This post will be the first of a three part series on my visit through this remarkable and well-done village.


I often think that the best places to visit when you are vacationing and researching interesting destinations to learn are the ones suggested by those who live in that area or state.  So if I had to recommend places to see and visit to friends or acquaintances who were not born in Wisconsin and who are visiting for the first time, I would certainly recommend spending an entire afternoon at this exceptional, educational village.

Don't you often wish you could step back in time to really get a feel as to how life really was in the mid- to late-1800's?  As a visitor to this impressive walk-through museum, one truly comes away with a great appreciation for how people lived during those times.  It also can give you a greater appreciation and gratitude for some of the conveniences of the present.  So come along with me for a leisurely stroll as I step back to a more simple and serene time at Pinecrest Village.


The tour begins at the McAllister Welcome Center.



After purchasing tickets for admission to the village, I began my adventure by walking through the prairie to get to the first building, the Sladky Bee House, a 1920s house from Shoto, Wisconsin which now serves as a educational exhibit for beekeeping.




Right next to the Sladky Bee House is the Sieker House built in 1866 which once served as the Welcome Center for the village until the McAllister House was renovated.  This charming little residence now called The Print Shop houses the 1880 wood-type printing equipment from the small print shops of James Hamilton of Two Rivers, Wisconsin.



What a peaceful walk through the wooded area to get to the first and earliest house on the grounds.  I love the smell of the pine, the beams of sun that peak through the trees and the rustic wood fence that surround the area.


As I approached the first log home, the Helle-Thompson Cabin, built in 1851, I thought of the various home improvement programs I have seen on television which walk you through the technological advancements of smart homes of today.  This primitive log cabin in comparison to the luxuries we have today in modern homes simply has me in awe.  As I sat at the family's table, I couldn't help but feel that I am truly blessed because of the conveniences that I most likely have taken for granted, such as electricity, heat and indoor plumbing.




Along the path we come to the Kunze Log Home.  This home was built by a Bohemian immigrant from the town of Newton, Wisconsin between 1855 and 1860.  The smokehouse located on the property was built in 1896 by Gustave Petzold from the town of Schleswig, Wisconsin.  I swear I can still smell the scent of bacon and sausage.  Did anyone bring the ketchup?








The third house, the Sorenson House, built between 1855 and 1870, has all the lovely comforts of home.  I am sure it was a great convenience to be able to pump your own water right within your kitchen.  The residents of this home were also the envy of their neighbors with their wall-mounted telephone.  And with all of the leisure time made available because of these conveniences, family members could spend time gathered together around the organ to sing songs until late in the evening.






And the last building which we will visit in the first of three posts is Shadyside School built in 1872. This charming little school house educated and enriched the lives of many young boys and girls until 1956.  It is so thrilling to talk to friends and neighbors in this area who remember attending this school (or shopping at the General Store and Village Meat Market pictured in the upcoming Part 2 of the series) when it was in operation.








Stay tuned for Part 2 of A Visit To The Historical Pinecrest Village when we visit the quaint village church, a fire station, a general store and so much more.   So take off your bonnet, untie your bustle and light your oil lantern and get ready to read more about this charming and captivating museum.


7 comments:

  1. Oh, I love your post. This is the kind of thing I love to see and explore. As I have said on a blog post of my own before. I love traveling our country by car because you see things and places that you would never see if you traveled another way. It is so fun and amazing to visit special places like this. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful and informative post. I am sure seeing this "village" the sights, sounds, and smells makes one think of the past and all that we have today. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible tour. When I look through these pictures all I can think of is the talent and the workmanship. Today everything is plastic and Wal-Mart. I don't know if future generations will look through all of our stuff and say what junk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible tour. When I look through these pictures all I can think of is the talent and the workmanship. Today everything is plastic and Wal-Mart. I don't know if future generations will look through all of our stuff and say what junk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that? I often wonder about people who lived in the past and how they lived. It's pretty amazing! The grounds are beautiful. Thanks for taking me along on this tour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this tour with us - it's always great to see the past preserved! Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love visiting historical sites, the buildings, and artifacts. This looks like a fascinating place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love to visit historical sites. I find it fascinating. Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete